Which of these Airtable features does Grist support?

Our cat rescue nonprofit has basically no money, and our Airtable is constantly getting full, so we either need to start paying for it or find an alternative. As a non-profit, we can get the nonprofit Azure or AWS grants, so I’m trying to figure out if something like self-hosted grist-omnibus on one of those platforms would be a viable alternative.

The ability to create interface-like cards/panes seems like an upgrade that we would use. Is that the only way to view a single record in a document-style view? Like Airtable has the arrows that open up the “card”(?) view:

and our volunteers use that a lot.

The ability to use complex python formulas seems nice.

There are no phone apps? But it says “you can now use Grist quite comfortably in mobile browsers”, so that is probably fine? (I haven’t actually tried it.)

It doesn’t directly support forms? But we can integrate it with Google Forms or something like that? What’s the easiest?

It doesn’t have a calendar view? Does it have calendar export? Like adding or calculating dates in the table get converted into events in Google Calendar?

It looks like it supports multiple views of the same table, but can users create their own private views?

Last time I tried it, it seemed like if you link to another table, it doesn’t automatically create backlinks to the first like Airtable does? I guess that’s OK.

Is there a way to import our entire base with image attachments etc. from Airtable? I searched and didn’t find anything.

Is it possible to make formula fields that produce clickable links? (Specifically, one field contains an address, and then another field is now a link to a Google Map of that address, or our custom Google My Maps of the same.)

imho, Grist has a quite nice mobile interface.

there is a user developed plugin calendar view, it’s simple.

“Is it possible to make formula fields that produce clickable links? (Specifically, one field contains an address, and then another field is now a link to a Google Map of that address, or our custom Google My Maps of the same.)”

I created a formula field that created a GoogleMaps URL based on the address, so in one field you inserted one address (actually, you selected one of our concrete factories and it pulled it’s address from another table), then in another field you selected the construction site address, and it created a clickable URL with the Google Maps directions from one address to the other.

1 Like

“It doesn’t directly support forms? But we can integrate it with Google Forms or something like that? What’s the easiest?”

Not forms that you fill and then SAVE.

It’s more like an Excel Sheet displayed in Forms format. So when you fill a field, it saves the field.

BUT we discussed a way to implent a workaround… check this thread I created

1 Like

That’s what we need, though. :smiley: Forms that people outside the organization can fill out and then press Submit. (Adoption applications, etc.) Airtable has them built-in, and Integrator Services - Grist Help Center says to use integrations with external forms.

Yes, integrating is a possibility.

Or have a field of status that can only be changed by a button. Any form being filled and the button not pressed is status DRAFT.

Press the button and the field changes to saved.

I guess it’s possible to play with this idea.

1 Like

Grist now has a calendar widget! Calendar - Grist Help Center :tada::date:

1 Like