Auto mapping of columns when importing data // possibility to save mapping

Hello beautiful grist people !

We are building a dataflow to improve open data in our field of research around Grist, and we are really thankful that such a tool exists now.

One of the big feature we are missing currently is something that should not be very long to add to make the import feature even more smooth :

• auto match of column if the name are the same
  • the ability to save the matching configuration : we have some dataset that use the same templates and it would be so quick to import them we such saved matching configuration. It could even be a dummy text file to provide the mapping sheet_src.column_src → table_dest.column_dest

What does the community and the developpers team think about that ? Does it already exist in grist and we did not see it ?

Thank you in advance for the discussion,

Xavier

1 Like

Hello!

• auto match of column if the name are the same

This is already possible with incremental imports. Importing more data - Grist Help Center It might need to be exact matches. Are you experiencing something different?

• the ability to save the matching configuration : we have some dataset that use the same templates and it would be so quick to import them we such saved matching configuration. It could even be a dummy text file to provide the mapping sheet_src.column_src → table_dest.column_dest

This would be very cool!

Ow, nice ! I tried with a file that did not have the same name of sheets than the tables of the template. I have just have tried with matching sheet/table names, and it works ! Perfect !

It let me do a workaround with a supplementary step to rename sheets and columns names of the files I want to import in the case they do not match. It is easily automatable, so acceptable.

Anyway, the ability to upload or load from a “favorite matches” list a mapping could be nice for a no code and quick approach when imported files are in a different shape than the grist document.

Thank you for your answer !

Xavier

1 Like