I have been looking through the grist-plugin-api docs, but I haven’t been able to find an answer to my question:
Is it possible to get the structure of a table? I can get the values of each cell of a row easily with onRecord(s), but I am trying to get the type of each column.
For example, instead of {'id': 1, 'name': 'John', 'birthday': '2000-01-01'}, I’d like to get {'id': 'integer', 'name': 'string', 'birthday': 'date'}
Is this possible with the grist-plugin-api?
I guess I could get an accessToken and then call /api/docs/{docId}/tables/{tableId}/columns, right?
Is there any other way to get the type of each column of a table?
The columns endpoint with an access token may be the best approach at this point, since it’s a stable public interface.
You can also get this information without needing an access token by calling fetchTable("_grist_Tables") and fetchTable("_grist_Tables_column") (using fetchTable) – those are the names of the internal tables that contain table and column metadata.
Getting types of columns is a known difficulty. We’ve been thinking how to make that information available more easily, but not sure if there is any specific proposal yet.
Hi there!
Is there any update on this or the solution is still the same?
Cheers!