Highlight active row/column on selection change

Now working on large tables, highlighting active row/column on selection change would be a really nice to have.

See example:

211107 Excel-highlight-active-row-and-column-on-selection-change

This is possible, albeit painful, in Excel with a macro - would be great to have out of the box in Grist.

Use case is mainly checking boxes (ie boolean value) on large tables, to ensure the right box is checked.

1 Like

The row number and column header are shaded slightly darker. Are you saying you need the full row/column highlighted? Can you explain your use case a bit more? Is it more about the row or the column?

Two features that may be helpful for you:

1 Like

Thanks for suggesting the “same record linking” approach - it’s a great workaround I didn’t know about!
Really like the fact that on tables with a lot of columns, it enables me to navigate vertically (row selection) and puts the horizontal navigation (column selection) also in a vertical position alongside it.
A little bit confusing though that fields in the card are not ordered the same way as the columns. And that always 2 columns are kept - I’d prefer only having 1 column in the card, so I don’t have to search for the right one with a Z search.

I didn’t mean to have coloured row/column - just extending the slightly darker shade to the actual row/column, not just the headers.

Use case is when selecting a row based on column A, if I want to “check the box” in a column further on the right, it can be difficult to identify exactly which one to check:

1 Like

You can edit the card layout.

I think that’s a good idea. Not sure if it should be the default but it would at least fit well as another checkbox under Grid Options alongside “Zebra stripes” etc.

4 Likes

Thanks, very helpful as usual @alexmojaki :slight_smile:

Zebra Stripes is already useful in the meantime :+1:

Hi alexmojaki !
Still there’s that case i stumbled upon where it would be cool/helpful to have an option to style selected row (alongside conditional cell formatting) to make it more highlighted/vivid as opposed to default gray-shading the row-number + blue-outline the active cell.
I mean just be able to choose the bg-color of the active row, would be sufficient :slight_smile:

1 Like