How do you would compare against DAX & Power BI?

Hello. I have just discovered this plalform that looks very promising.

Assuming that a software like Power BI is a giant in the industry with huge features. I would like to know your opinion if Grist could be at least an alternative for some basics BI needs within a small company.

You know dinamic charting & dashboards in Power BI along DAX is an extremely powerful tool that can solve many complex questions and gain insights about your data. Regarding DAX, features as “measures”, “row, filer context” and more important “context transition” with “CALCULATE” is extremely powerful compared to traditional sql quering, which would need a lot of auxiliar tables/columns, multiple joins, etc.

I was wondering if you have in your roadmap plans to continue improve “spreadshet” behaviour and formulas features, in order to play better in the segment of BI tools. I think Grist have a lot of potential to grow in this direction.

As far I see, you can perform complex calculated columns thanks to pyhton, agregation calulations and iterative operations in the entire column ( like measurements in DAX) and summarizing tables. Maybe is more limited in terms of dinamic filtering and propagation of this filters through the relational model, and queries/functions that return table objects.

As I am still exploring the features/ get familiar with Grist, maybe I am wrong with some impresions. What do you think? Someone has played/compared head to head both sofware? what specific features do you miss more frequently and woud like to include in future releases?

Imho, completely different niches.

Grist is more like Excel. You INSERT information.

Then it provides some ways to view that info.

PowerBI and other BI tools are made to transform, analize and visualize that information.

If you look a graph at PowerBI and notice one number is wrong, it’s doesn´t allow you to change the number in the database.