How to search using Grist APIs

Hello everyone,

I have list of more than 2000 products in a table. I want to search products using API. Please help me, how to do that?

Do you have an integration tool, like Pabbly Connect they have a built in action for search records. Otherwise you need to make an api call like this:

See the api reference here: API reference - Grist Help Center

Thanks for the reply. I donā€™t have any automaton tool.

Hereā€™s the example of my use case; Let suppose, I have table of products containing more than 2000 products. How to search products using api? I know, I can use ?filter=ā€œproduct_nameā€ :[ā€œWhite Art Paperā€]. But my question is, how can I search without using the full name? I mean using ā€˜paperā€™ instead of ā€˜white art paperā€™ and it should show all the products having the searched keyword in the product name.

Hi There,

Unfortunately, there is not a way to search via API in this way at this time but would be great as a future improvement!

Thanks,

1 Like

This probably wonā€™t help you @Techville_eServices , but just in case.

It is possible to do full text search on Grist documents using SQLiteā€™s full text support. We donā€™t have API support for this though, so it is only useful if you are self-hosting, or where periodic downloading is acceptable.

For example, if I were to download the class enrollment template, I could enable full-text search on some columns of one of its tables by installing sqlite-utils and then running:

sqlite-utils enable-fts Class\ Enrollment.grist Classes Semester Class_Name Class_Code --create-triggers

Now I can make full text queries either directly using the MATCH operator or by using sqlite-utils again:

$ sqlite-utils search Class\ Enrollment.grist Classes "Yoga"
[{"rowid": 3, "id": 3, "manualSort": 3, "Semester": "Spring 2019", "Class_Name": "Yoga Kids", "Class_Code": "2019S-Yoga", "Instructor": 4, "Times": "Sunday 10:00\u201311:00", "Days": "2019 Spring Sundays", "Start_Date": 1548547200, "End_Date": 1560038400, "Max_Students": 12, "gristHelper_Display2": "Toupe, Joby", "Count": 7, "Spots_Left": 5},
 {"rowid": 7, "id": 7, "manualSort": 7, "Semester": "Fall 2019", "Class_Name": "Yoga Kids", "Class_Code": "2019F-Yoga", "Instructor": 4, "Times": "Sunday 10:00\u201311:00", "Days": "2019 Fall Sundays", "Start_Date": 1567900800, "End_Date": 1575763200, "Max_Students": 12, "gristHelper_Display2": "Toupe, Joby", "Count": 8, "Spots_Left": 4}]

Again, I realize this is not going to help in a scenario where you need an API endpoint you can call against a live Grist document on our hosted service.

I found that sqlite fulltext search is useless. In quite all ā€œnormalā€ use cases it produces bad results or does not work at all, or only if you lex and parse the input text, or do some low level sqlite api calls. I honestly does not know how people can use it.

Iā€™ve played a little with https://typesense.org/ this does fulltext/fuzzy search quite well and easily, this is what most people want.

edit, some demo:

With the introduction of the new SQL endpoint, the original request becomes very easy to implement. For example, with @paul-gristā€™s SQL widget showcased here, the following query gives all titles containing ā€œeaā€:

select
  Title, length(Title) as Len
from Songs
where Title GLOB "*ea*"
order by Len desc