Making an "update" field with a timestamp

I have a CRM setup as seen in the screenshot. I have a “Members” page and a “Tasks” page. I can create tasks and assign them to members as you would with a normal ticketing system. The trouble I’m having, is the logic behind task updates. I’d like to be able to update the tasks and have a record of the updates I write and when they were written. At the moment, I have an “update” field in the task, but I need to write the update above the last one and then choose the date manually. I hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

See Timestamp Columns and Authorship Columns for how to make a column that keeps track of which user created or last updated a record and when.

If you need a complete history and not just the most recent change, I’m afraid there’s no great way to do that. You might be interested in the Document History accessible in the left sidebar, but that only goes so far. Here’s a formula which will show the 5 most recent updates:

previous = value.splitlines()[-4:]
current = "{} at {:%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S}".format(user.Name, NOW())
"\n".join(previous + [current])

This should be used like the formulas in the links above. In particular make sure you have a data column, not a formula column.

1 Like