Newbie question about forms

I have a self-hosted grist instance, with one table and one page. I am trying to create some sort of dashboard on this one page.

One part of this dashboard is a form, which I want to use to submit stuff to my table. I can’t figure out how to “display” and use this form from the dashboard, I have published it and I can click the view button to have it open in another tab where I can use it, but I want it usable straight from my dashboard.

I’m not sure what I am missing here. Hope I explained this well enough for someone to understand the question :-9

Let me try to add more info:

I want to use the form to add entries to my table in a “pretty” way vs. just editing the table.

Hi there!

Currently, the form only allows data to be submitted via a webpage. Having the ability to easily use the form as a widget within your document to submit data to a table (as an alternative to our Card widget) is a feature we would like to add in the future! There is a way to do this currently, using a custom widget.

Click the green ‘Add New’ button then ‘Add widget to page’.

Select ‘Custom’ as your widget then select the same table you are using to submit form data to.

In the Creator Panel, paste your form link into the ‘Custom URL’ field for the custom widget.

Now, you can use the custom widget to view and submit data using your form. Be sure to select the option to submit another response on your form. This will allow to use the form an endless number of times to submit data.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions!

Thanks,
Natalie

Thanks, that is a nice work-around. I feel like I’ve watched and read about every help article about grist and am still struggling understanding some concepts.

I guess I’ll open a separate thread about my use case, so I can “bundle” all open questions. I might just be trying to make grist work in a way it’s not meant to :slight_smile:

1 Like

WHAT? Has this been mentioned somewhere else or I missed it?

@Rogerio_Penna I’m not sure if it has been mentioned before in the Community. It’s certainly more of a work around than actual product functionality.