Real-Time Collaboration: User Cursors

Hello :grinning:,
Is it possible to display the cursor of the current users in the table like on Google Sheet ?
and the Last edit information.

6 Likes

Hi Sao,

I would love to see something like that in Grist, too! It’s a good feature request. I find myself itching to see user icons and cursor position when working on a doc with someone else. :slightly_smiling_face:

As for last edits, we have something like it, though admittedly it could use more polish.

Click on Document History in the lower left menu.

Then click on the Activity tab and select All Tables. This lists activity in the document, by who.

I’d love to hear your ideas on the type of edits you’d like to see tracked, and what you’d like to do with it, if anything.

1 Like

Hi.

Seeing other users cursors would be incredibly helpful when working with tables.

Or any other feature that would help with Real-Time collaboration.

I particularly run into problem when two users where trying to add new row in the same table at the same time. Note that this is greatly influenced by another factor – time required for new row to be created.

When I tested Grist capabilities with small amount of sample data it seemed to be almost instant adding new rows and editing existing records. But with multiple tables over 2500 rows (9000 rows total in document) it takes around 15 s to add new row and 30 s when ‘Undo’ is pressed after adding new row. While this wait is annoying it isn’t detrimental for user but it is plenty of time for another user to try add a row in the same table. In this scenario row created by first user appears where second user expects to see data he has entered and after another 30 s row created by second user would appear under one created by first user. If, instead of waiting, ‘Undo’ is pressed this easily can create mess.

If row creating time could be reduced probability of the incident would also be reduced. But feature like seeing other user cursor positioned for creating new row (User cursor at the end of the table) is one of the ways to solve this problem.

Our use case:

We are using Grist for registering purchase orders and have more than one manager working at the same time with the same tables.

Simple scenario: the manager answers the call from the client and

1. (if caller is new client) enters clients contact information into Clients table) then
  2. in blank empty row at the end of Orders table picks client name from linked Clients table,
  3. this calls for some trigger formulas which generates order number and copies clients contact information from Clients table to this new row in Orders table, then
  4. manager enters orders details into Orders details table linked to Orders table by order number (multiple different goods and services can be assigned to same order).

Of course I suspected that these trigger formulas in step 3 is causing slow down but then tried creating new row with all trigger formulas in Orders table disabled and operation remained slow.

3 Likes