Remove whitespace beginning and end for fields without new column

Hello :sun_with_face:,
is it possible to remove whitespace beginning and end for the “Ref” column,
without making a new one with a formula ?
I mean, once I finish typing, apply the “strip” function on the current column.

Yes, it’s possible! See Trigger Formulas, and scroll down to example 1. In short, the steps are:

• Set Column Behavior to Data Column
  • Set Trigger Formula to value.strip()
  • Click Apply on changes to, and select Current field

Now whenever you type a new value, or change an existing value, in this column, the value you enter would get stripped of whitespace automatically.

1 Like

Thanks @dmitry-grist
I have questions :

• is there a way to apply on all the current existing rows that formula in Column Behavior and not only the new becoming rows or updates
  • If I add a new row thru the API, does the formula will be be apply ?
  • is there a way to apply on all the current existing rows that formula in Column Behavior and not only the new becoming rows or updates

A fairly simple option is to select the column, press Ctrl-C (Cmd-C on Mac) to copy the values to the clipboard, then Delete to clear the column, then Ctrl-V (Cmd-V on Mac) to paste the copied values back over the column. At the last step, the formula will apply because the cells are being updated.

Alternatively, you can apply a formula to all values in a column using the somewhat neglected functionality of Column Transforms described here: Transformations - Grist Help Center (available at the bottom of the Column options in the creator panel).

• If I add a new row thru the API, does the formula will be be apply ?

Yes, I believe it would.

1 Like