Sequential Dates?

On Google sheets, and excel, I type in three dates, then use the handle to pull down to fill in the next 6 months to a year whilst I’m making a content calender.

Any suggestions on how to autofill the dates without manually adding 365 days? :smiley: Thanks!!

1 Like

Hi @mrsme.

Here’s one way I was able to generate a sequence of incrementing dates. I used the following formula and added enough rows for the number of dates I needed, and copy/pasted the result from the formula column:

DATEADD(TODAY(), rec.id - 1)

The DATEADD function takes a date, and a number of days to add to it, and returns the incremented date. We can use rec.id which is the row id (as seen next to the leftmost column) so that each row of the formula is incremented by an increasing number of days. You can swap out TODAY() if you’d like to start incrementing from a specific date.

Having a more convenient way to generate sequences in Grist does sound very useful, and perhaps some simpler solutions may be proposed in this thread, but hopefully this approach is useful and helps you avoid having to type out those dates by hand.

2 Likes

So, after spending 15 mins on this, I"m really struggling. I can do it from today, but can’t do it from the date I need to do it from (1st Jan 2022).

I’ve tried DATEADD(2022, 1, 1, () rec.id - 1) and a few varieties of this, but no luck yet. Any ideas?

It’s also a MASSIVELY useful way to drag enter data. I.e. Entering Mon to Sun over and over again (52 times for the year I’m doing :wink: )… It’s one of those excel functions thats used constantly.

Copying from excel for the dates is also bring up errors, so I’ll continue trying as I need the dates there to be able to do anything else :slight_smile:

Try this formula:

DATEADD(DATE(2022, 1, 1), rec.id - 1)

1 Like