I performed some more test but I was not able to reproduce the error reliably: I hate to say this, but apparently sometimes the document gets ready (and can be modified without the “still working”) after a little while, sometimes it need a lot of time, but it looks like it eventually it stabilizes
The tests are:
- export / import or make a copy of the “master” document
- wait some time (5 to 30 min, or try the day after)
- open the new document in a browser tab
- wait some more time (0 to 5 min)
- try a modification
Sometimes the new doc can be modified after a “short” time, sometimes not, I was not able to find a pattern (time waited, exported or copied) but eventually (like the day after) the document is OK.
What I can say with a certain confidence is that if the document can be modified a first time, then all the subsequent modification works just fine, it seems that once the import/copy is complete, there are no more issues.
Speaking of culprits: I noticed that in the document history there is a modification marked as performed by Grist: in one of the columns we have a reference to an internal link, something like:
and Grist automatically fixes these links to reflect the new URL Id and Doc Name.
At the same time there is a formula that collects these URLs to build a sort of dashboard (I can be more specific if needed), maybe there is some sort of concurrence there.
If you think it’s worth investigating I can try remove the links and/or the formulas o even try to prepare a sample doc with what I am doing (I will need some time for this).
Finally, for the networking issue, I don’t think it’s the case:
- I have a very stable FTTH line
- The computer to the router connection is wired (not WiFi)
- In the tests I performed the copy and the export/import and the open of the new docs almost simultaneously
- if the “still working” problem appears at the first modification it stays there even if I close the browser tab and reopen the doc
- in two tabs one document works the other don’t
To wrap up: when I first posted it seemed to me that the error was systematic, but in fact it’s not (apologies for the hurry), if you wait enough the copied document is OK.
This is fine with me, I will continue my work and try to investigate further with less priority.
Thank you again for your patience and support, Grist is indeed a wonderful tool.