Feature suggestion: duplicate as new empty table

Would be good to be able to duplicate a table, whereby structure (and possibly data) are completely disconnected from the original table.

As I’m still learning the ropes with Grist API, I do tests on a duplicate of the target table first.
I learned that duplicating a table currently keeps it “linked” to the original table.
So what I do is download as CSV, import in new table, and reapply all column formatting.
A bit time consuming :slight_smile:

Perhaps there is a workaround?
In any case, duplicating a table with or without its data, in one click would be useful.

1 Like

Making a new separate copy of a table’s data is definitely something we plan on adding.

For your use case of trying out changes in a safe environment, see Copying documents - Grist Help Center. This explains how to make a ‘fork’ which you can compare to the original in a way that nicely shows the differences

2 Likes

Thank you! Good to learn about the Copying Documents feature, which indeed can be used as a potential workaround.

Oh great, we also need table copying for a project we’re working on:
A crowd sourced app comparison directory.
Was really excited to discover grist and all its features, there’s really nothing else that comes close save for Luckysheet Document but that isn’t great on mobile.

Problem is there’s no way to allow public [Editor] to add or copy a table with the template we need.
At best they can copy paste data from a sample table, but copy paste doesn’t input column titles.
Another way to allow public to add templates would be if they can use the ‘Import from file’ feature. Alas this is denied by an access permission I can’t seem to change “GenImporterView’ actions need uncomplicated access”.

This feature:
https://support.getgrist.com/copying-docs/#copying-as-a-template
Doesn’t work for our use case either, as it copies the whole doc and not an individual table.

Ideally there would be a way to click the … (three dot menu) on a table in the left menu, and have a ‘Make New Copy’ or ‘Use as Template’ button.

PS: Duplicate page might be less confusing if it were named something like ‘Mirror Page’

1 Like

Duplicating structure without data would be extremely helpful. For every new table now, we are adding the same basic fields that are standard for every table, like Created At, Updated At - setting the fields triggers, etc. and it’s getting painful. Or maybe just have tables that are set up with these basic fields right away, instead of 3 columns that are just A, B, C.

1 Like

Agree 100% - ideally both, ie Created At/Updated At as sheet default + ability to duplicate as new empty sheet preserving one’s custom fields and settings.

2 Likes

I spoke to someone at grist and they are working on a feature like this, at first it will appear in the Raw Data menu (Bottom Left) Not sure when it will release.

1 Like

The ability to duplicate tables has been released, and was announced a few days ago. Open the Raw Data page to find it.

2 Likes

Just curious, will this option remain only in the raw data tables or also be added to the left side table menu?

So this feature isn’t really working properly yet.
Whenever I mark the “copy all data” checkbox the duplication fails. At least with this table.
Duplicating structure works, however the great new feature (adding descriptions to columns with a 🛈 button) also doesn’t copy over to the new table.
Can this be solved?