May 2023 Newsletter - Column and widget description, webhooks, and a vote for the best flashcards

Click to read the full May 2023 Newsletter.

Flashcards Contest: Vote for the Best Deck!

In May we sponsored a flashcard contest. Grist users were invited to build the best flashcard deck by using our Flashcards Template. Thank you for your submissions. The community will now vote for the best flashcard decks!

:white_check_mark:VOTE

What’s New

Column and Widget Descriptions

In March @CamilleLegeron made it possible to add descriptions to columns. Now, columns with descriptions have an info icon in their headers, which when hovered over or clicked reveal the respective description. This feature has been enabled on widgets as well, providing even more context to your team.

To set a column or widget description, click into the title to open the renaming dialog which now includes a description field. Alternatively, descriptions may be set in the creator panel.

Column and Widget Description

Webhooks!

We’re happy to release beta webhooks support! :tada: Webhooks are one way to send information from Grist to other apps. For example, if a record is updated in Grist, send a message in Slack. When in a document, navigate to the Settings page listed the left-side panel under “Tools”. The “Manage Webhooks” button at the bottom will take you to the webhooks page.

Unofficial API support for webhooks has been available for some time, forming the basis for Zapier, Pabbly Connect, and other integrations. That API will continue to work, and is no longer limited to specific partners — you can now use it with any site.

Webinar: Deconstructing a Template, Software Deals Tracker

When looking at our templates you may wonder why templates are structured in a particular way. Over the next four months we’ll rebuild templates with you and highlight common patterns in each document.

In June, we’ll show you how we built the Software Deals Tracker. The template has three pages, each with multiple widgets focused on different workflows, and yet the document is built on only one data table. We’ll show you why to help you anticipate your own use cases where all you need is one table with multiple views.

Thursday June 22nd at 3:00pm US Eastern Time.

3 Likes

Thank you for the fantastic new UI for webhooks! I’ve noticed that when I download the document from the hosted version and try it on the self-hosted version, the webhooks are not imported or displayed in the UI. Has anyone else experienced this issue or is it just me?

On a different note, I was wondering if it’s possible to utilize the ‘Insert Date’ feature mentioned in this Discourse link “Insert Date” Feature. It would be really helpful to have a quick and easy way to display webinar dates without having to ask ChatGPT to convert the dates each time :yum: for Europe.
Thanks

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that when I download the document from the hosted version and try it on the self-hosted version, the webhooks are not imported or displayed in the UI.

Interesting! User authentication and doc id has changed between the docs, which would cause issues with integrations. What do you envision transfers over in the settings?

Thanks for the tip re: the Discourse insert date feature! I’ll use it in future community announcements.

1 Like

Hello @anais-grist,

Do you know if the API has also been updated in order to modify the description through to the API ?
(PATCH /docs/{docId}/tables/{tableId}/columns)

Thank you !

Xavier

I am being told (@alexmojaki ) that it should just work. Pinging Alex in case there are follow-up questions. :slight_smile: