Statistical functions

Hello -

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions in terms of conducting some statistical analysis on data held in Grist? thinking e.g. of how to add a best-fit line into a chart or determining covariance / correlation levels between variables etc?

Might be that it’s beyond the Scope of Grist but keen to hear if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks

determining covariance / correlation levels between variables

You could make a summary table and add a formula to it using the standard Python statistics module:

import statistics
statistics.covariance($group.x, $group.y)
1 Like

With the suggested code I seem to be getting an import error. Any thoughts on why that might be?

Your document is likely using Python 2. Take a look at Python versions - Grist Help Center

1 Like

Ah yes - I was indeed :+1:

Sorry - one more question. Is there a way that I can determine which version of the statistics module is being imported? I don’t seem to have access to some of the functions/attributes that have been added in the more recent releases.

Ah, you’re out of luck! Grist uses Python 3.9, and the functions covariance, correlation, and linear_regression say “New in version 3.10”. Noted this as a push to upgrade to 3.10.

1 Like

Grist now uses Python 3.11, so you can use the statistics module!

Ah good news. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll take it for a spin when i get a chance…

There’s now a way to do this, see here for an example.