Translating Grist

@paul-grist

Check my post above. I am not finding those texts at Weblate to translate.

For example, Hidden Fields. If I search for that on Weblate, it returns me only two hits

“Cannot drop items into Hidden Fields”

and

“Hidden Fields cannot be reordered”

But where is “hidden fields”? In fact, I found none of the text below to translate.

Dentro de Widget, VISIBLE CAMPOS should be “Campos Visíveis” and “HIDDEN CAMPOS” should be “Campos Ocultos”.

The types of columns (in the Field/Campo) options are not translated.

Any = Qualquer
Text = Texto
Numeric = Numérico
Integer = Inteiro
Toggle = Seleção
Date = Data
DateTime = DataTempo
Choice = Escolha
ChoiceList = Multipla Escolha
Reference = Referência
Reference List = Lista de Referências
Attachment = Anexo

Formato da Célula:
Textbox should be “Caixa de texto”

As I have no clue what “Field in 2 views” does, I won´t translate it lol

UNDO = Desfazer
REDO = Refazer

SEARCH = Procurar

SHARE= Compartilhar

NOTIFICATIONS = Notificações

Done - good luck @gwq_jason.

@RogerioPenna I looked into Hidden Fields. I found that it is generated in a somewhat complicated way in the code:

With the complication being that the code is trying to figure out whether it should say Columns, Fields, or Series. This corner of the code has not yet been made translatable. I’ve filed a bug report at "Hidden Columns/Fields/Series" cannot yet be translated · Issue #439 · gristlabs/grist-core · GitHub. Thanks for pointing this out @RogerioPenna, and for battling with Weblate.

It’s weird because SOME parts of the right panel are translated

For example… Column has been translated to COLUNA. However, TABLE should be TABELA, but it was not translated.

And inside Weblate I cannot find where to translate TABLE.

However, I also do not find where to translate COLUMN. So how was it translated, if it’s not available at Weblate?

There are SEVERAL already translated stuff that I just can´t find at Weblate.

edit: I downloaded the translation JSON and opened it. There are much more words and texts than I can find in Weblate. Maybe I am clueless on how to search words in Weblate to translate

here, looking for COLUMN

all the hits

the JSON has many more. Found 50 and I am not even in the middle of the JSON file…

There’s a lot going on in Weblate. For searches, have you noticed the |< < 1/NN > >| part at the very top, could that be where the results you expect are hiding?

I’m not a Weblate expert, I’m not sure if there’s a good way to get a list of all matches on a single page. I did see search one level up that might be helpful for some cases:

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who has been patiently keeping up with translations as Grist gets more features!

I wanted to let you know that there is a new special source string that looks like this:

Translators: please translate this only when your language is ready to be offered to users

In the future, languages for which this string has not been translated will be ignored, and not offered to users. This is to make it easier to start translations but not have the pressure of them showing up immediately to everyone before the translator is comfortable with them.

There will be an environment variable to override this behavior for self-hosters and desktop app users.

It would be great if you could translate this string for your language in preparation for this change. Thanks all!

1 Like

Hi, it took me long time but I help translate to polish. It was very easy with Weblate. Some words needs to be fixed because I don’t know what mean for examplefiddle in Grist case. But most was OK.

Regards.

1 Like

It means VIOLIN or to PLAY VIOLIN in the strict sense.

But there are other meanings. Thus, it should be seen WHERE the word FIDDLE is used in Grist. My guess is that it’s related to “manipulate or tamper with data”.

1. To manipulate or tamper with something: If someone fiddles with something, they are making small adjustments or changes to it, often in a way that is unnecessary or unhelpful. For example, “He kept fiddling with the TV remote, trying to get it to work.”
  2. To waste time or avoid work: If someone is fiddling around, they are not doing anything productive and are wasting time.
  3. To cheat or deceive: If someone is fiddling something, they are cheating or deceiving someone in order to gain an advantage. For example, “He was caught fiddling the company’s accounts.”

It actually refers to sites like those listed at https://fiddles.io/, where “X fiddle” means a page where you can fiddle with / play around with something just to try it out. Agreed it is not a very user-friendly term.

1 Like

But where in Grist does the word Fiddle appears?

The word fiddle appears when you open a template document such as Expert Witness Database - Grist

(see the little bit of gray text in the breadcrumb row?)

There are some notes about it here:

You can enter the same mode on any document by doing [Share icon] → “Work on a Copy”, except then it is called unsaved instead of fiddle (which is probably clearer).

Hi all - we’ve changed settings on weblate, now anyone can start a translation, no need for an adminstrator. Just please delay translating the special string that looks like this: "Translators: please translate this only when your language is ready to be offered to users". Please translate this later rather than sooner, so users don’t get disappointed with a very incomplete translation. Thanks!

@George_Mouawad or @Siavash, we haven’t started on RTL support, but a partial translation of at least one RTL language could be handy for testing when someone does start working on it, so if either of you have time for it that would be super helpful :pray:

1 Like

Thanks, I understand now :slight_smile:
Regards.

I am nb_NO (Norwegian Bokmål) Allan Nordhøy @ Hosted Weblate
Seems a great deal of time was spent creating this.
I wouldn’t mind spending some time getting the stringbase in shape to better match that effort.

Would be nice if a WL admin (@paul-grist or @anais-grist) could turn on suggestions in Sign in @ Hosted Weblate , and preferably also direct editing of source strings. Could also edit the respective files in a PR.

1 Like

Hi @Allan_Nordhoy , thanks for your work!

The source strings for grist-core are extracted from code using this script:

The process could use some improvement. In particular, deleting strings that are no longer used needs someone to notice and intervene (help in a PR would definitely be appreciated here). I’d be worried that direct editing of source strings could lead to conflicts, but I’d be glad to be reassured about that.

I believe suggestions are already enabled, but maybe there’s some related setting we’re missing?

(I noticed your link pointed to the remmina project rather than Grist by the way)

The strings already available for translation could do with some improvement first and foremost.
Grist/client — Norwegian Bokmål @ Hosted Weblate are the ones I have added for review.

I think it might be the “read-only” flag that prevents suggestions,
which in and of itself doesn’t make a lot of sense.
Possibly having those by default is just how the platform handles “direct editing” being turned off.

As long as source strings are only changed in WL,
and any pending changes dropped at the PR stage I think there should be no conflicts.

Meant to link to the actual editing, and looked up a project I have access to since normal users can’t see the config of every project.

Please add Vietnamese to the language list!

Thanks you!